The European Union, Germany, Kuwait, Norway, Qatar, the United Kingdom and the United Nations will co-chair the Brussels Conference on Supporting the future of Syria and the region, on 5 April 2017.
The conference, which will be held at ministerial level, will bring together 70 countries, international organisations and civil society.
The conference will seek to:
- assess where the international community stands collectively in fulfilling commitments made at the London conference in February 2016 and agree on additional efforts
- reconfirm existing pledges and identify additional support to Syrians inside Syria and in the neighbouring countries, as well as to the respective host communities
- support a lasting political resolution to the Syrian conflict through an inclusive and Syrian-led political transition process under the UN auspice
- consider the prospects for post-agreement assistance once a genuinely inclusive political transition is firmly underway
- Background brief
- Syria: Council response to the crisis (background information)
- Supporting Syria conference in London, 4 February 2016
- EU actions supporting Syrians and host communities (EEAS website)
- Media advisory, Brussels Conference on Syria, 4-5 April 2017
- Indicative programme – Supporting the future of Syria and the region – Brussels conference of 4 and 5 April 2017